Tuesday, February 2, 2010

UBOC Championship

Recently got to play in a few UBOC events while their series was going on. Thankfully I was able to satellite into the ones I played and didn't have to dig into the bankroll much at all to play.

The sweetest satellite was a VIP tourney where they were giving away 10 seats to the 1k championship event with a $109 buy in. Only 24 runners showed up so a couple double up was all tha lt was needed to be in contention. Played fairly well, got rivered by a one outter, and tripled up A4 short stacked to limp my way to qualifying. Hey, it's not where u finish, just whether u qualify or not, right?

First few events were largely uneventful with me not catching much and needing to race to stay alive. Didn't work out tho. After playing the championship event, I have realized that I have some major leaks in my game that need to be fixed in order to compete at the higher levels.

I doubled up fairly early with JJ when my opponent when turn river for a full house only to give my a higher one. After losing some small pots here and there, I got into a hand in the BB that crippled me. UTG limped, button raised and I hold AQ in the BB. Given my situation I should reraised there to isolate but I call and so does UTG. Flop comes all kids and checked around. Turn is an ace. I bet, utg raises and button folds. This is where I probably shoulda folded. Instead I call. River is a Q furthered complicating the hand. With 2P out of position I check. Villian over bets the pot to look scared and force my out, or so I thought. Calling this cost me
3/4 my stack and I just couldn't get away. He shows a flopped set and I never recovered.

The biggest problem I seek to have is to put my opponent on a range and commit to believing that he has the hand I am pitting him on rather than calling to find out. Once I come to conclusion, I need to be able to get away more often, especially when my hand is so mediocre as mine was in the example.

Fortunately I have found rush poker and oh what a gold mine this could be. Stay tuned for an update on this as I plan to dedicate some time to this new game.

Flipassassin

-- Post From My iPhone

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff. AQ was a tough spot. River queen makes it really hard to get away from.

    ReplyDelete